There’s some work to be done here involving the animations’ timing and the feel of things… but it functions. Hurrah!
There’s definitely a bug that allows one button to change position without the other button moving to swap places with it. I need to play around with it more.
Making it so that the player can/must choose which phoneme to switch to definitely makes the game more challenging. I’m going to need an extremely low difficulty option, which means I will probably have to have a two-phoneme option.
Here’s the proof that all the recent effort spent on refactoring was worth it — things are visibly changing and gameplay is evolving. :D
This is just a quick post to say that I did get the phonics shmup caught up in Unity to where I had it in Godot.* It took me about as much time as I expected, though I didn’t get the work done on the days I expected. It now does everything the Godot version did and has random asteroids floating through as well because I didn’t feel a need to disable them, at least not yet.
Better than that, it’s more or less ready for level loading, so the next part of development is gonna be recording better quality phoneme sounds and doing it for the whole alphabet.
Best of all, you can play it online. I hadn’t figured out how to build for web in Godot yet, but Unity made that easy, too. Left click to shoot, right click to swap disruptor phonemes.
*Actually, now that I think on it, I don’t have even a basic broadcasting graphic on the disruptor. So all but that. Functionally speaking, though, the game is caught up.