I have completed my first patchwork quilt top! It’s actually been completed for a couple of weeks, but I didn’t get around to taking pictures of it quickly.
I cut three 2.5″ squares from each of 40 different fabrics, which I put in a bag. After shaking the bag until they were thoroughly mixed, I pulled them out, stacked them, and made rows of ten squares each by pulling them off the stack. I didn’t count how many fabrics I used; I’m lucky it came out in a number divisible by ten — I had no squares left over. Once it was all sewn together, I took my mish-mash to The Quilt Tree and picked out the border fabric. (Thank you, Shannon, for advice about the color).